|Country of Birth||China|
|Peak League||Challenger I|
Austin "Gate" Yu was born in Sichuan, China and later moved to Florida in the United States. On October 15th, 2014 Gate joined Final Five as their midlaner. With that team, he qualified via the ranked 5's ladder for the Spring Expansion Tournament. In the online portion of the tournament, they defeated Zenith eSports 2-1 and then CompLexity.Black 2-0 and qualified for the offline stage along with Team Fusion, Team Coast, and Curse Academy.
Going into the offline stage as underdogs, Final Five surprised by taking Team Fusion to five games, though they did ultimately lose the series, moving to the loser's bracket. There they faced Team Coast and were eliminated, this time losing 1-3.
Final Five's Expansion Tournament run qualified them for the NA Challenger Series Spring Season. Partway through the season, when the team was in second place in the standings behind Enemy eSports, the team joined the Coast organization, and Impaler and Sheep joined the Challenger team's lineup. However, after the merge, Final Five's results actually worsened, and they lost all of their remaining Challenger Series games - they did still qualify for the playoffs, but they lost 0-2 to Enemy and then 0-2 to Team Fusion, missing out on the Summer Promotion Tournament. Due to their playoff participation, they were given an automatic seed into the summer NACS season. After playing two games in the NACS with Vortex (renamed from Final Five), Gate left the team and joined Team Impulse as a second support player alongside Adrian, switching roles from mid lane.
After mid laner XiaoWeiXiao was suspended due to Elo-boosting allegations going into the split's ninth week, Adrian returned to the team and Gate switched to mid lane; the temporary suspension was eventually lengthened to a competitive ban until February 2016, and so Gate played with Team Impulse for the rest of the season. Team Impulse had been on a six-game-long win streak prior to Gate's support game, and while they couldn't quite extend the streak through the end of the season, they were able to finish in a third-place tie with Gravity and then win the tiebreaker game. In the summer playoffs, the team beat Dignitas 3-0 before losing to both Counter Logic Gaming and Team Liquid to finish fourth, leaving them with the second-place spot in the Regional Final due to Championship Points. There, they became the second team in a row to fall to underdogs Cloud9 in a reverse sweep and so fell short of the World Championship.
Team Impulse rebuilt their roster completely for the 2016 season, with Gate moving from mid lane to support. Facing visa problems for the first few weeks of play, their roster was unstable until week 4 of the Spring Season. After some early success with their substitute rosters, especially with Seraph in top lane, TIP ended the season in 9th place, losing a 5-13 record tiebreaker to Renegades based on their head-to-head matchup.
In the Promotion Tournament, Team Impulse requalified for the Summer Season with a 3-1 win over the Challenger team Apex Gaming; however, on May 8th they were faced with a competitive ruling banning them from continued participation in the LCS due to not paying their players on time and also not having proper contracts in place with players. The team was also fined $20,000 by Riot. Along with Pirean and Mash, Gate joined the organization that purchased Team Impulse's Summer Season seed, Phoenix1.
- Enjoys computer design, tennis, and cooking.
Current Season Statistics
|2015-08-30||2015 Season North America Regional Finals||Tip 2 : 3 Cloud9|
|2015-08-22||2015 NA LCS Summer Playoffs||Tip 1 : 3 Team Liquid|
|2015-05-17||Grand Opening LoL Showdown||CST 3 : 0 Gogi|
|2015-05-10||Press Start LAN 2015||CST 3 : 0 Frank Fang Gaming|
|2015-04-07||2015 NA Challenger Series Spring Playoffs||F5 0 : 2 Team Fusion|
|2015-03-25||2015 NA Challenger Series Spring Season||F5 4 : 6 Group Stage (W/L)|
- July 27th, NA LCS 2015: Gate - "big shoes to fill" with SK Gaming
- August 2nd, Map Awareness S02E05 with Gate with SK Gaming
- August 10th, TiP's Gate on his champion pool, TiP's communication and switching from support to mid with theScore
- January 24th, Gate Calls TIP Relegation Assumptions Unfair: "Our Actual Starting Five Hasn't Played a Single Ga… with G|League
- January 31st, TiP's Gate on overcoming expectations: 'I just want people to have more faith in us' with theScore
- February 16th, Gate: 'I want to be recognized as a good support player, not just that guy that played three roles' with theScore
- February 22nd, Gate on facing NRG and TL in Week 7: 'I'm fairly certain we can beat these two teams' with theScore
- February 29th, Gate on Team Impulse: 'I definitely think we can win against TSM and C9' with theScore
- March 5th, TIP Gate says he is "Not too worried" about Relegation with Yahoo
- April 6th, TiP’s Gate: “My expectation is that none of the LCS teams get relegated.” with Joe "Pistallion" Cannavino on Slingshot Esports
- April 9th, Gate on keeping TIP in the LCS and his plans to train in Korea with Yahoo!
- April 19th, Player Spotlight: Gate - Job security seems to be a big issue in the pro scene. with Esports Heaven
- August 7th, How Gate's NA LCS doors were opened from LoL Esports
- January 13th, Gate on TiP: 'Our Korean imports are still pending visas and won’t be able to join us (for Week 1)' by Lisa Doan Daniel Rosen on theScore
- June 4th, Gate on joining Phoenix1: 'I want to show that we are not going to be a pushover team' by Emily Rand on theScore
- Former Vortex Mid Laner Austin ‘Gate’ Yu Joins Team Impulse content.azubu.tv
- Competitive Ruling: Team Impulse lolesports.com
- Phoenix1 replaces Team Impulse, picks up Gate, Mash, Slooshi, and more espn.go.com