Passive-spawned seeds can be stepped on faster.
Zyra’s Midseason is off to a good start, comfortably blooming into a botanical powerhouse. We’re not looking to do anything dramatic - just adjusting Garden of Thorns to be less punishing for those on the wrong side of the grass.
Passive - Garden of Thorns
SEED GRACE PERIOD : Can be stepped on 1.5 seconds after spawning ⇒ 1 second after spawning (W - Rampant Growth seeds remain at 1.5 seconds of immunity)
Zyra’s function as a zone-controlling plant mage has always been clear, but Midseason presented an opportunity to really let her playstyle bloom. Zyra’s plants are key to this zone-controlling strategy, but Rampant Growth’s seed-dispensing limitations have always left her wanting more. Zyra’s fantasy promises a sprawling landscape of minions to grow and do her bidding, but ends up as ‘grow two plants on a moderate cooldown that die pretty easily’.
Now, Zyra doesn’t just plant a garden -she is the garden. Cultivating the ‘Rise of the Thorns’ into more than just a title, Zyra’s becoming a walking zone of threat, deploying seeds that grow into explosive teamfight potential the longer she’s in an area. Combining Stranglethorns’ plant-enhancing frenzy with more plants than ever before, Zyra’s reclaiming her strategic identity as the disengage pick, making would-be divers heed the warning to keep off the grass.
BASE HEALTH : 479 ⇒ 499
BASE MOVEMENT SPEED : 325 ⇒ 340
TEXTURES : Zyra’s base textures have been updated
ICONS : Zyra has all-new ability icons
Passive - Garden of Thorns
Seeds spawn around Zyra periodically, becoming faster with level. If an enemy champion steps on a seed, it dies. If Zyra is hiding in brush, seeds will not spawn until she reveals herself. Casting Deadly Spines or Grasping Roots near seeds causes them to grow into Plants. Plants of the same type deal 50% less damage against the same target.
PASSIVE SEED LIFETIME : 30 seconds
PLANT HEALTH : 4
PLANT DAMAGE : 23-140 (at levels 1-18) ⇒ 19-127 (at levels 1-18)
PLANT RATIO : 0.2 ability power ⇒ 0.15 ability power
SIGHTLESS SEEDS : Unlike seeds spawned by Rampant Growth, seeds spawned by Garden of Thorns grant no vision passively or when stepped on
Q - Deadly Spines
NAME : Deadly Bloom ⇒ Deadly Spines
COST : 75 mana ⇒ 60 mana
DAMAGE : 70/105/140/175/210 ⇒ 60/90/120/150/180
RATIO : 0.65 ability power ⇒ 0.55 ability power
NEW PLANTER BOX : Size increased; now grows in a rectangle instead of a circle
NEW OVERGROWTH : Grows plants slightly outside of the damage area (like Grasping Roots)
W - Rampant Growth
W SEED LIFETIME : 30 seconds ⇒ 60 seconds
REMOVED COOLDOWN REDUCTION : No longer grants cooldown reduction
NEW MAXIMUM PLANT HEALTH : 10/20/30/40/50%
R - Stranglethorns
REMOVED PLANT FRENZY : No longer grants 50% attack speed to Plants
NEW PLANT IMPACT : Plants enraged by Stranglethorns deal 50% bonus damage
In a world without mana potions (and generally less early mana regeneration), we've identified a few champions for some emergency rations, giving early mana boosts until they can get their footing and purchase items to make up the deficit. This also means we can really understand which champions relied on mana potions as a crutch to limp through the early to mid game, and we can give additional love if necessary.
- The following champs have +2.5 base mana regen per 5 seconds:
Zyra’s plants are much more consistent at acquiring targets. It’s a pretty big deal.
If you’re a Zyra player, you’re no stranger to having your plants misbehave (or sometimes just stop... doing anything, really) when you want them to rip your enemies to shreds. We’ve all been there, so we took a look under the hood to re-root how they work. What we had left was pretty scary. We’re not opposed to further changes (if necessary) but ‘my plants actually attack when they didn’t' ended up a lot stronger than we first thought, so this patch we’re planting the seeds and waiting to see what grows.
W - Rampant Growth
SMART PLANTS : Plants will reprioritize attack targets when their primary target is obscured by fog of war instead of simply ceasing to fire altogether.
FORGET-ME-NOTS : Plants now prioritize the target Zyra has most recently attacked rather than the closest target she has attacked in the past 4 seconds. Champions recently attacked will still be prioritized over minions.
Zyra's plants now have range indicators for her.
- "In our never-ending Crusade for Clarity (tm), Zyra's getting hooked up with sweet range indicators for each of her plants to help her really appreciate the things they do for her. Appreciate your plants, Zyra. Please."
- Q - Deadly Bloom
- SPITTING DISTANCE : Thorn Spitters now display their range when grown
- E - Grasping Roots
- LASHING OUT : Vine Lashers now display their range when grown
Summary: Deadly Bloom's damage has been reduced overall but her AP ratio has been increased. Rampant Growth's passive cooldown reduction has decreased. The plants spawned from Rampant Growth have had their base damage reduced at lower levels, but increased later on. We’ve also improved Zyra’s overall feel by making seed transformation/enraging plants more intuitive.
Context: Our overall strategy here is to tone down Zyra's early level poke damage and, while we are reducing some of her overall power, we also want to improve her ability to fluidly combo cast with seeds. Additionally, reducing the base damage of her spells while increasing the AP ratios is aimed at reducing her power as a support without hurting her capabilities as a mage.
- Deadly Bloom
- Range reduced to 800 (from 825)
- Damage changed to 70/105/140/175/210 (+0.65 Ability Power) (from 75/115/155/195/235 (+0.6 Ability Power))
- Rampant Growth
- Passive Cooldown Reduction reduced to 2/4/6/8/10% (from 4/8/12/16/20%)
- Plant base damage changed to 23 (+6.5 per champion level) (from 26 (+6 per champion level))
- Reduced the delay before seeds can be stepped on by enemies to 1.5 seconds (from 3)
- Range increased to 825 (from 800)
- Fixed a bug where spells would rarely not turn seeds into plants
- Stun no longer persists after the knockup ends
- Now properly enrages plants created within the bramble zone after Stranglethorns has been cast
- Thorn Spitter and Vine Lasher plants now correctly display their bonus damage from Ability Power
- Thorn Spitter and Vine Lasher plants now benefit from Banner of Command's minion damage aura
- Rise of the Thorns
- Damage reduced to 100-440 from 124-549
- Missile Speed reduced to 1,900 from 2,200
- Missile Width reduced to 70 from 90
- Grasping Roots
- Missile Speed reduced to 1,150 from 1,325
- Vine Lasher
- Fixed a bug where the plant was sometimes slowing by more than 30%
- Base Movement Speed increased by 25.
- Rise of the Thorns (Passive) now properly cancels spell casts upon activation
- Rampant Growth
- Destroying a seed no longer breaks spell shields
- Plant selection radius increased slightly
- Grasping Roots vine particle modified so it is easier to see
August 7th Hotfix
- Base movement speed reduced to 300 from 310
- Damage reduced to 180 / 265 / 350 from 200 / 300 / 400
- Cast range reduced to 700 from 800
- Grasping Roots damage per level adjusted to 60 / 95 / 130 / 165 / 200 from 60 / 105 / 150 / 195 / 240
- Plant damage for additional plants reduced to 50% from 75% when multiple plants are attacking the same target