The Black Cleaver
+50 Attack Damage
+20% Cooldown Reduction
|Passive:||Unique: Dealing physical damage to an enemy champion reduces their Armor by 5% for 6 seconds (stacks up to 6 times, up to 30%). |
Rage: Dealing physical damage grants 20 movement speed for 2 seconds. Killing any unit or receiving an assist on a champion that has any amount of Black Cleaver armor shred grants 60 movement speed for 2 seconds instead.
is an advance item available in Classic and Dominion mode.
- The armor reduction applied by The Black Cleaver percentage armor penetration first and flat armor penetration second. The Black Cleaver can no longer bring a target's armor below zero.
- Defense > Health
- Attack > Damage
- Magic > Cooldown Reduction
- Other Movement
Cost reduced. -5 AD.
For those keeping up with recent top lane trends, builds have skewed toward the tankier end for the majority of 2016. Black Cleaver is a natural ‘release valve’ to help counter these champions, providing necessary shred and sticking to run down even the beefiest defenders. When we noticed that its primary users (Renekton, Gnar, Riven to namfew) weren’t in the best spot performance wise, it made sense to bring the item that binds them together down to the price-points of other important spikes.
TOTAL COST : 3500 gold ⇒ 3100 gold
COMBINE COST : 1150 gold ⇒ 750 gold
ATTACK DAMAGE : 55 ⇒ 50
TOTAL cost : 3000 gold ⇒ 3500 gold
BUILD path : Phage + Caulfield's Warhammer + 1150 gold
ATTACK damage : 40 ⇒ 55
health : 400 ⇒ 300
New build path, much more health, much, much more armor shred stacking, but no more flat armor penetration. More cleaver-y, if that makes sense.
- "We're going to be blunt - when The Black Cleaver's good, it's good at many things: blowing up squishies via flat armor penetration and busting down tanks with its stacking armor shred. Because of this, we've had to tune the item accordingly, making it pretty mediocre at both of its aforementioned jobs.
- No longer!
- Well, sort of. One of our goals with a revisit to The Black Cleaver was to basically choose one of those paths and go sprinting down it. There are already a bevy of options when it comes to blowing up squishies, so tank busting became the name of the game for the new Black Cleaver. The design here should make sense for anyone who wants sustained, tank busting combat patterns, so we won't dwell too much on that. Go try it out! "
- [NEW] RECIPE :
The Brutalizer + Ruby Crystal + 1263 gold ⇒ Phage + Kindlegem + 825 gold
- TOTAL COST : 3000 gold (unchanged). In case you couldn't do the math.
- [REMOVED] ARMOR PENETRATION :
10 ⇒ 0
- HEALTH :
200 ⇒ 400
- ATTACK DAMAGE :
50 ⇒ 40
- COOLDOWN REDUCTION :
10% ⇒ 20%
- ARMOR SHRED DURATION :
4 seconds ⇒ 6 seconds
- ARMOR SHRED MAXIMUM STACKS :
5 ⇒ 6
- DAMAGE :
46 ⇒ 52
- [NEW] UNIQUE PASSIVE : Rage - Dealing physical damage grants 20 movement speed for 2 seconds. Killing any unit or receiving an assist on a champion that has any amount of Black Cleaver armor shred grants 60 movement speed for 2 seconds instead.
- Can no longer apply more than one stack of Armor Shred in a single basic attack
- Health reduced to 200 from 300
- Maximum stacks increased to 5 from 4
- Armor reduction per stack reduced to 5% from 6%
- Fixed a bug where spells were applying more reduction than intended
- Armor Reduction per stack reduced to 6.25% from 7.5% (Maximum reduction is now 25% from 30%)
- Flat Armor Penetration reduced to 10 from 15 and is now UNIQUE
- Now builds from The Brutalizer and Ruby Crystal
- Now grants +250 Health, +10% Cooldown Reduction, and +15 Armor Penetration
- No longer grants Attack Speed
- Attack Damage reduced from 55 to 50
- Passive changed to "Dealing physical damage to an enemy champion reduces their Armor by 7.5% for 4 seconds. This effect stacks up to 4 times." and is no longer Unique
- Cost increased from 2,865 (795) to 3,000 (1,188)
- Now appears in the attack speed tab
- Damage reduced to 55 from 75
- Now adds 30% increased attack speed
- Unique passive - Now shreads 15 armor per stack from 12, but has a maximum of 3 stacks from 5
May 15, 2009 Patch
- Damage reduced from 80 to 75