|Coaches:||David "Varsix" Lim|
|Analysts:||Kevin "TeeKhay" Bracken |
Keith "SnowSpots" Torres
|Managers:||Nick "Swaguhsaurus" Phan |
Steve "jokasteve" Perino
Brittany "JunoTheCat" Lattanzio
|Sister Team (Current):||Team Liquid Academy|
- 1 History
- 2 Timeline
- 3 Player Roster
- 4 Player LCS Participation
- 5 Organization
- 6 Team Achievements
- 7 Highlight Videos
- 8 Other Content
- 9 Interviews
- 10 Articles
- 11 See Also
- 12 External Links
- 13 Gallery
- 14 References
Team Liquid is a multi-gaming team organization that was founded in the Netherlands in 2010 as a StarCraft: Brood War team. In January 2015, they merged with Team Curse (not the Curse Gaming organization). This page contains information about their primary League of Legends team, formerly known as Team Curse.
The organization also runs the most-visted StarCraft-related website in the world, TeamLiquid.net, which has given to a rise League sub-site, Liquid Legends since Liquid acquired Curse and joined the LCS.
Team Liquid acquired their League of Legends roster in January 2015 upon merging with Team Curse (not to be confused with the team's former title sponsor Curse Gaming). They inherited Team Curse's spot in the LCS, and their starting roster going into the 2015 season included Quas, IWillDominate, FeniX, Piglet, and Xpecial. At the same time as this merger was announced, Team Liquid launched the site liquidlegends.net, a hub for all of their League of Legends content.
At the start of the season, Piglet was unable to play in the NA LCS Spring Split due to visa issues, and so Team Liquid Academy AD carry KEITHMCBRIEF started in his place for the first week. The team went 2-0. Piglet then returned for weeks 2, 3, and 4, but after poor performances and a 1-5 record, KEITHMCBRIEF (now Keith) was returned to the starting lineup. During this time, to accommodate Keith's high-school schedule, Liquid scrimmed with Piglet in the mornings and then with Keith in the afternoons. The team went 3-1 in weeks 5 and 6, and Piglet was returned for week 7; he stayed on the starting roster through the rest of the split. The team qualified for playoffs with the sixth seed after defeating Team 8 in a tiebreaker game. There, they beat CLG 3-0 in the quarterfinals before falling to Cloud9 3-2 in the semifinals; in the third-place match, Liquid finally broke the "fourth-place curse" that stopped them from placing higher than fourth place in any event that had persisted since they were Team Curse and took down Team Impulse 3-2 (though their third-place finish did average with former sister team Gravity's fifth-place finish to an overall four).
Team Liquid stuck with the same five-man roster for the entirety of the summer split, and they finished the round robin in first place after winning a tiebreaker match over Counter Logic Gaming - the first team other than TSM or Cloud9 to place first in an NA LCS round robin. However, in the playoffs, they lost immediately in the semifinals to TSM, making them also the first team to finish first in an NA LCS round robin but not make the playoff finals. A CLG victory over TSM in the playoff finals sent Team Liquid to the regional finals instead of giving them a direct seed to Worlds via Championship Points, and in the gauntlet they lost to underdogs Cloud9, ending their post-season abruptly.
Following a rumor that Piglet was to leave the team published in late September 2015, Team Liquid announced that they were actually extending his contract. The next day, Xpecial revealed that it was he who was leaving the team, not Piglet, and in October the team announced Smoothie as their new starting support player. Soon after, Xpecial's departure was officially announced as well.
In late December, Team Liquid announced their plans for a 10-man-roster and heavily revamped their coaching staff with Locodoco as new head coach and new support staff. In January, Liquid announced the addition of Lourlo to fill the gap left by Quas and added zig, Dardoch, Youngbin, fabbbyyy and Matt as active subs from their Challenger team Team Liquid Academy. What "active subs" turned out to mean was a permanent roster shuffle, in which Dardoch and Matt joined the LCS team after the first game of the split. IWDominate retired, and Smoothie moved to the Academy team.
Liquid's spring split started out rocky, with an 0-2 first week and cumulative winrates of 50% or worse after each of the first eight weeks. Eventually, their new roster started to solidify, and they climbed into a fourth-place regular-season finish, behind the newly-formed and almost-undefeated Immortals, CLG, and Cloud9. A lot of their success was attributed to Dardoch's jungling, and he was named Rookie of the Split. Team Liquid's quarterfinal series was an easy 3-0 over NRG, but in the semifinals, they lost a narrow five-game series to CLG (the eventual champions). In the fifth game, Piglet was caught out in mid lane by a double-teleport from both Darshan and Huhi at the same time to the same ward and died. While Liquid were already behind in that game, it was this play that sealed the win for their opponents. In the third-place series against the tournament-favorite Immortals who had been knocked down in an upset by TSM, Liquid lost once again, this time 0-3, to finish the playoffs in fourth place overall and continuing their "fourth-place curse."
Despite Dardoch's stellar spring split performance, on May 27th, he was suspended by the team for "behavioral problems and team dynamics issues. Due to internal conflicts Dardoch was transferred to Echo Fox and Arcsecond was given the starting jungle spot."
Expectations were fairly high for this new roster to at least make it to the playoffs, especially with Reignover's stellar performance as an in game leader in the previous season despite not making to Worlds. However, it was apparent few weeks into the spring split that the team was having serious synergy issues. In particular, goldenglue was heavily criticized for his underwhelming performance, often getting caught off of position during games. The carrying jungler meta of the spring split was also ill-suited for Reignover's playstyle. The team soon found themselves dead last in the league and was in danger of relegation in the upcoming 2017 Summer Promtion. To stem this downward trend, Team Liquid ultimately made a daring move by moving Piglet to play as a midlaner and acquiring Doublelift as their temporary new ADC until the end of the spring split season. A short while later goldenglue was sent off to Korea where he bootcamped with Ever8 to raise his skill cap on the Korean server by himself.
The result of this switch up was immediately apparent. In the last few weeks of the spring split, Team Liquid was able at least some games off of their remaining opponents, even beating TSM in Week 9. With Doublelift in the line up, the team slightly improved their standing to 9th place at the end of the season.
In the 2017 NALCS Summer Promotions, they first faced off eUnited and advanced to the next round in 3-1 fashion. In the second round, they narrowly beat out Gold Coin United in a five game series to retain their spot in NALCS for 2017 Summer Split.
As summer split came around, analysts and fans were more cautious in their expectation of the team as Team Liquid made no roster change to their starting line up. While goldenglue showed signs of individual performance, the team found themselves dead last again in the league during the summer split. Even with the return of Dardoch and acquisition of Mickey from Afreeca Freecs to the starting line up, the team could not improve its standing from 10th place and once again was up for relegation in the 2018 NALCS Spring Promotions.
In the 2018 NALCS Spring Promotions, Team Liquid first faced off eUnited and was able to advance to the next round in a convincing 3-0 fashion. In the second round, they face off against Phoenix1 and narrowly won in a 3-2 series, thereby securing their spot in the 2018 season.
- March 7th, Doublelift joins the team for the remaining 3 weeks of the NA LCS Spring Split.
- March 8th, Adrian joins after leaving Phoenix1 due to issues with the team.
- March 24th, Cain announced as Head Coach.
- April 3rd, Adrian leaves.
- April 28th, Doublelift leaves to rejoin TSM.
- May 19th, Saintvicious departs for Team Dignitas. 
- May 23rd, goldenglue returns as starting Mid Laner. Piglet moves back to AD carry. 
- July 24th, Mickey joins the team as their starting mid laner. 
- July 25th, Dardoch rejoins the team. 
- November 22nd, Pobelter and Xmithie join. 
- January 4th, Lourlo joins. zig, Dardoch, Youngbin, fabbbyyy, and Matt join as active subs.
- January 17th, Dardoch and Matt become starters. IWDominate and Smoothie move to sub.
- January 20th, IWDominate retires, remains a sub, and becomes a coach.
- March 8th, SirhcEz joins as a sub. zig, Youngbin, fabbbyyy and Smoothie leave.
- May (approx.), Solo, Moon, goldenglue, and Stunt join as subs. fabbbyyy rejoins as a sub. SirhcEz and IWDominate leave.
- May 27th, Dardoch is suspended for "behavioral problems and team dynamics issues."
- June 1st, Moon moves to starting jungler. Dardoch moves to sub.
- June 5th, Dardoch moves back to starter.August 15th, Jynthe becomes starting AD. fabbbyyy moves to Sub.
- July 13th, Viper, Vvian, Morning (now Yusan), Arcsecond, and Jynthe join as subs.
- August 30th, fabbbyyy leaves. Arcsecond becomes starting Jungler.
- November 23rd, Dardoch leaves.
- December 7th, Moon leaves.
- December 12th, FeniX leaves. 
- December 13th, Reignover joins. Piglet re-joins to starting roster.
- January 6th, team is formed. Quas, IWillDominate, FeniX, Piglet, and Xpecial join.
- January 16th, Nyjacky joins as a sub.
- January 24th, HTC sponsors Team Liquid.
- January 30th, Namecheap sponsors Team Liquid.
- February 16th, Keith is announced to be playing for week 5 of the 2015 NA LCS Spring Season instead of Piglet.
- March 4th, Piglet is announced to be playing for week 7 of the 2015 NA LCS Spring Season instead of Keith.
- April 18th, 3rd Place at the 2015 NA LCS Spring Playoffs.
- June 28th, ChumpJohn joins as a sub.
- July 1st, KEITHMCBRIEF is assigned to Team SoloMid.
- August 22nd, 3rd Place at the 2015 NA LCS Summer Playoffs.
- August 31st, 2nd Place at the 2015 Season North America Regional Finals.
- September 7th, Peter moves to Team Liquid Academy.
- September 28th, Piglet's contract is extended until November 20th, 2016.
- September 29th, Xpecial announces he will be leaving the team.
- October 16th, Smoothie joins.
- October 29th, Xpecial leaves.
- November 13th, Locodoco joins as a content producer and on-camera personality.
- November 29th, Quas is suspended by the team.
- December 3rd, Quas retires.
- December 30th, plans for 10-man roster are announced. Locodoco moves to head coach. Dlim, TeeKay, SnowSpots, and Caelan join as additional support staff.
|Xmithie||Jake Kevin Puchero||Jungle||2019-11-18|
|Doublelift||Yiliang "Peter" Peng||Mid||2020-11-17|
|Olleh||Kim Joo-sung (김주성))||Support||-|
|Mickey||Son Young-min (손영민)||Sub/Mid||2018-11-19|
|Cody Sun||Cody Sun||Sub/AD||2018-11-19|
|KonKwon||Kwon "Kevin" Koo-hyuk (권구혁)||support|
|FeniX||Kim Jae-hoon (김재훈)||Mid|
|KEITHMCBRIEF||Yuri Jew||Sub/AD||Team SoloMid|
|Quas||Diego Ruiz||Top||NRG eSports|
|Xpecial||Alex Chu (朱啓恩)||Sub/Support||Apex Gaming|
|Solo||Colin Earnest||Sub/Top||Team Liquid Academy|
|Moon||Galen Holgate||Jungle||Team Liquid Academy|
|Stunt||William Chen||Sub/Support||Team Liquid Academy|
|zig||Derek Shao||Sub/Top||Team Liquid Academy|
|Youngbin||Jung Young-bin (정영빈)||Sub/Mid||Team Liquid Academy|
|Smoothie||Andy Ta||Sub/Support||Team Liquid Academy|
|ChumpJohn||Johnson Ranta||Sub/Top||Galactic Gamers|
Player LCS Participation
- For a full chart listing all LCS players, click here.
|Bumblebee||Robin Nymann||Director of eSports|
|Swaguhsaurus||Nick Phan||General Manager|
|jokasteve||Steve Perino||General Manager|
|JunoTheCat||Brittany Lattanzio||Player Manager/Project Manager|
|Varsix||David Lim||Head Coach|
|TeeKhay||Kevin Bracken||Remote Analyst|
|Caelan||Romain Albesa||Jungle Coach|
|IWDominate||Christian Rivera||Jungle Coach|
|MarkZ||Mark Zimmerman||Content Creator|
|Locodoco||Choi Yoon-sub (최윤섭)||Head Coach||Gold Coin United|
|Exorant||Daniel Hume||Analyst||Last Kings|
|Peter||Peter Zhang (張藝)||Head Coach||Team Liquid Academy|
|Shakarez||Renato Perdigão||Analyst||Keyd Stars|
|In Premier Tournaments|
|2016-08-14||5 - 6th||2016 NA LCS Summer Playoffs||1 : 3||Counter Logic Gaming|
|2016-07-31||5th||2016 NA LCS Summer Round Robin||9 : 9||Group Stage (W/L)|
|2016-04-16||4th||2016 NA LCS Spring Playoffs||0 : 3||Immortals||$ 10,000|
|2016-03-20||4th||2016 NA LCS Spring Round Robin||10 : 8||Group Stage (W/L)|
|In Premier Tournaments|
|2015-08-31||2nd||2015 Season North America Regional Finals||1 : 3||Cloud9|
|2015-08-22||3rd||2015 NA LCS Summer Playoffs||3 : 1||Team Impulse||$ 15,000|
|2015-07-26||1st||2015 NA LCS Summer Round Robin||13 : 5||Group Stage (W/L)|
|2015-04-18||3rd||2015 NA LCS Spring Playoffs||3 : 2||Team Impulse||$ 15,000|
|2015-03-29||6th||2015 NA LCS Spring Round Robin||9 : 9||Group Stage (W/L)|
- March 3rd, Liquid LoL | Week 7 - NA LCS Highlights - TIP & TSM (6m9s)
- March 18th, Liquid LoL | Week 8 - NA LCS Highlights - CLG & NRG (6m51s)
- April 1st, [LoL] Team Liquid's Top 5 Plays from the 2016 Spring Split (3m7s)
- Click here to see videos from Team Liquid's Rebirth series.
- January 22nd, Liquid - Rebirth EP14 - Squad by HTC
- January 27th, Liquid - Rebirth EP15 - Waves by HTC
- February 3rd, Liquid - Rebirth EP16 - Progress by HTC
- February 11th, Rebirth EP17 - TLOP by HTC
- February 17th, Rebirth EP18 - Captain by HTC
- February 24th, Liquid - Rebirth EP19 - Toil by HTC
- March 2nd, Liquid - Rebirth EP20 - Awakening by HTC
- March 16th, Liquid - Rebirth EP21 - Dreamcatcher by HTC
- March 23rd, Liquid - Rebirth EP22 - Forever by HTC
- May 5th, What it's like playing for Team Liquid by ESPN
- May 9th, Liquid - Rebirth - The Final Episode by HTC
- November 2nd, Team Liquid | Breaking Point by HTC
- March 23rd, Team Liquid LoL - HyperX House Tour by HyperX
- May 28th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP01 - Conversation by HTC
- May 28th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP02 - Arrival by HTC
- May 28th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP03 - Decision by HTC
- May 28th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP04 - Expectations by HTC
- May 28th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP05 - Confidence by HTC
- May 28th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP06 - Ambition by HTC
- May 29th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP07 - Hawaii by HTC
- June 5th, Team Liquid - Rebirth Vlog 01 - Seasons Start by HTC
- June 19th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP08 - Fearless by HTC
- July 3rd, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP09 - Memories by HTC
- July 17th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP10 - Rise by HTC
- July 31st, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP11 - First by HTC
- August 15th, Team Liquid - Rebirth Vlog 02 - TSM & the Road to MSG by HTC
- August 21st, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP12 - Family by HTC
- September 7th, Team Liquid - Rebirth EP13 - Roads by HTC
- September 17th, Team Liquid - Vlog 03 - Visas, Top Lane, and Worlds by HTC
- December 5th, Team Liquid LoL - Vlog 06 - Liquid112 Holiday Update on LoL Team by HTC
- January 22nd, TL Coach Explains How the New Expanded Roster Works, His Take on Week One with G|League
- April 3rd, TL Matt on NRG: "We expected a closer series. But we were let down." with Tyler Erzberger on ESPN
- April 7th, Emily Rand's NA LCS Semifinals Preview: Liquid and CLG shift into gear by Emily Rand on theScore
- April 8th, Head-to-Head: Team Liquid and Counter Logic Gaming discuss their player matchups with theScore
- April 8th, NA LCS semifinal preview - Team Liquid vs. Counter Logic Gaming by Tyler Erzberger on ESPN
- May 31st, Ups and Downs: Team Liquid reflect on their 2016 NA LCS Spring Split with theScore
- January 24th, LCS NA 2015: LiQuiD112 "Some fan's don't understand the degree of a sponsor(HTC) like this" (video) with SK Gaming
- January 30th, Team Liquid's General Manager on how he got his job and Piglet vs Keith (video) with onGamers
- February 10th, Travis sits down with Liquid Nazgul at the LCS (video) with onGamers
- February 23rd, Team Liquid management and coaching staff talk Piglet benching - Keith to play for week 6 (video) with onGamers
- March 1st, NA LCS 2015: MarkZ "What could we do to make eSports more sport-like? So we decided to tailgate" (video) with SK Gaming
- March 6th, Rift Rant Ep. 6: Liquid MarkZ "Half of being good at the game is not being an idiot." (video) with SK Gaming
- April 28th, Liquid`MarkZ – Fenix Is The Real Deal with LiquidLegends
- July 14th, TL Coach Argues Sandbox Mode Would Dramatically Improve Scrims and Training with GameSpot
- August 14th, TL Coach and GM Interview - TL Peter Predicts TIP 3-0 Over CLG, TL to Beat TSM with Gamespot
- August 21st, Team Liquid Coach Peter - 20 Questions with HyperX
- August 28th, NA LCS Playoffs 2015: MarkZ - "It's really hectic between games in Bo5s" with SK Gaming
- February 18th, A brief history of Liquid by Paul Marshall on LoL Esports
- February 19th, Two Roads Diverged in the NA LCS: Cloud9 and Team Liquid by Emily Rand on TheScore
- March 27th, How Matt and Dardoch accelerated Team Liquid’s rebuild by Joe "Pistallion" Cannavino on Slingshot Esports
- March 30th, Jatt's Stats: NA LCS Quarterfinalist - TL (3m38s) on LoL Esports
- March 31st, New Kids on the Block: 5 Storylines to watch ahead of TL vs. NRG by Emily Rand on theScore
- May 2nd, Liquid, Longzhu and the problems with 10-person rosters by Colin "CD-Mangaka" Nimer on Slingshot Esports
- May 27th, Summer 2016 NA LCS Team-by-Team Preview Day 6: Team Liquid (Podcast) by Rough Drafts on Soundcloud
- May 28th, Comparing League of Legends teams to their traditional sports counterparts by Connor Smith on Slingshot
- May 30th, Dardoch's Suspension: The Importance of a team's dynamic by Jasmyn on Splyce
- January 17th, GP10 NA LCS Rankings #3: Team Liquid from Gold Per 10
- January 21st, A Liquid Curse - Debunking the hype surrounding Team Liquid from Gold Per 10
- June 28th, Team Liquid: Horses on the Run from theScore
- November 11th, A Challenger approaches: Team Liquid's search for a homegrown top laner by Naser "Empyre" Al-Naqi on Splyce
- Team Liquid and Former Curse Become One liquidlegends.net
- Keith replaced Piglet for Week 5 of NA LCS Spring Season teamliquidpro.com
- LCS News: Piglet moved to starting roster for Week 7 teamliquidpro.com
- Piglet and Team Liquid part ways dailydot.com
- Team Liquid's Tweet twitter.com
- TL Update - Xpecial On His Future youtube.com
- Team Liquid Smoothie Challenge youtube.com
- Xpecial - Free Agency, C9 Challenger, Future youtube.com
- 10-man roster and Locodoco to Head Coach teamliquidpro.com
- Team Liquid completes 10-man roster, will use Academy team as active subs dailydot.com
- Dardoch Suspension teamliquidpro.com
- Adrian and TL mutually part ways yahoo esports
- Liquid LoL | Meet Lourlo - Top Lane youtube.com
- IWDominate Retires from Professional League of Legends blog.instantesports.com
- Meet Moon - Jungleryoutube.com
- Meet 2016 NA LCS Summer Split teams.lolesports.com
- Team Liquid's Twitter Post twitter.com
- Moon's Twitter Post twitter.com
- thescoreesports article"thescoreesports.com"
- thescoreesports article"thescoreesports"
- Breaking the Curse: Liquid Rising liquidlegends.net
- Team Liquid Welcomes LoL Academy Team liquidlegends.net
- HTC Sponsors Team Liquid teamliquidpro.com
- Namecheap sponsors Team Liquid teamlliruidpro.com
- LiQuiD112's Tweet twitter.com
- Team Liquid's Tweet twitter.com
- Team Liquid | Rebirth EP13 - Roads youtube.com
- Locodoco Joins Liquid youtube.com
- Update for the LCS 2016 Season, Diego Ruiz teamliquidpro.com
- Regarding my suspension from TL twitlonger.com